- After the original due date of filing of Income Tax return, returns can be filed on or before 31st March of the relevant Assessment Year as belated return with late fees, e.g. belated return for AY 2019-20 can be filed on or before 31st March 2020.
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) vide notification no. 35/2020 had extended the due date of filing of belated return for AY 2019-20 to 31st July 2020.
- Now again, the CBDT has by way of amendment in the said notification number 35/2020 has extended the due date for filing of Income tax return for AY 2019-20 to 30th September, 2020.
- Considering the Covid-19 pandemic, extension of due date was called for and the government has timely taken a right step to ease the compliances for taxpayers.
- It is to be noted that while the due date for filing of return has been extended but the late fees for filing of the said returns as per section 234F will still be applicable.